Monday, October 6, 2008

Singing Till The Sun Rises

In today’s society, we live in a world where people have TV shows to find their BFF, an up and down economy, and celebrities who move on to buy their third and fourth houses. But how are we Americans able to tell what makes something valuable and valueless? Is it the valuable and expensive things in life? Or the priceless moments you wouldn’t trade for the world?

The alarm clock sounds off loudly blaring an old country rock and roll song. I quickly hit the off button and look at the screen that now says 6:42 AM. I jump out of bed excited, yet tired, and tip toe into the next room to wake my brother and two cousins. They wake up startled, but quickly smile knowing why they have been awakened. Together we soundlessly race downstairs and gather the things that we need. I grab the radio while the others grab blankets, muffins and juice. After we’re all set, we step outside, shut the door, and then we run.

The four of us run down the beach near the water’s edge and put down our blankets along with our food, and scramble onto the fuzzy blanket. I turn the radio on to a country station and one our favorite country songs of all time comes on. Summertime by Kenny Chesney. As the song begins, so does the suns ascent into the sky. Slowly but steady it rises as we sing. Watching the sunrise is so beautiful and special especially when you get to witness it with the ones you love.

After the sun has risen, we eat our makeshift breakfast and quickly run back to the house before the adults wake up. We make our way back inside, and put everything we took back in place. We all laugh and say good morning, and head back up stairs to go to sleep, even though in our minds, we know that will never happen. As I lay in bed, I suddenly find myself yearning for next summer, when we shall do this tradition once again.

I quickly scroll up and down my Ipod’s playlist looking for a song. There are just so many to choose from it practically takes me five minutes. But since I’m feeling very relaxed and mellow, I decide to listen to some country. I press play, and the music flows through my small white earphones, causing my ears to fill with sweet, sweet sound.

Minutes later I find myself selecting a new song, only to see that my battery is low. I place my Ipod on its portable dock to let it charge. I absolutely love this charger because while it’s charging I am still able to listen to music. Halfway through another song I decide to start my homework. I honestly don’t know how I would be able to do my homework without music. It keeps me so calm and focused even when homework stresses me out, or can be frustrating.

I go at my homework for another hour, and finally finish. I pack up my stuff, and decide to give my Ipod a rest after a long day. I get up to find myself something to eat, but rather find myself thinking about the day I got my Ipod, which was last Christmas. It meant so much to me, since I had wanted a new one forever. I was so happy my parents decided to get me one and I believe I thanked them about 100 times that day.

I value both my Ipod and summer tradition of watching the sunrise in Wells, Maine for both different and similar reasons. Watching the sunrise with my cousins and brother is always great. We have the greatest time laughing and singing. It is also a bonding experience where we talk about the school year, and what we want to do for the rest of the summer. I only get to experience the sunrise once a year, and cherish it deeply. Music connects my two values in a way. That morning when we watch the sunrise, we listen to country music and sing along. I also listen to music while using my Ipod, although on the other hand, I can listen to my Ipod every day, where as I can’t watch the sunrise every morning.

Both my Ipod and watching the sunrise tradition mean a lot to me. My Ipod helps me feel relaxed and calm when I am feeling stressed or frustrated. Watching the sunrise helps me connect and be closer with my cousins before we start off the summer together. Both are emotionally important to me. I value things that make me feel good, which happens to be watching the sunrise and my Ipod.

I believe something is valuable if it is something you love deeply. To know if you love it deeply enough, then you must ask yourself if you could live without it. And I know for a fact that I could manage my life without my Ipod. It would be tough, but I could manage. But I don’t think I could get through life without watching that sunrise every summer with my cousins, because that is my priceless moment that I couldn't live without, and wouldn’t trade for the world.

3 comments:

Shane said...

in the first paragraph Julia’s saying that we live in a world where people have reality shows to be BFf's and some people are buying 3 to 4 houses, this makes it hard to value the little things, when you watch these people who have everything in the world.

the sunrise was described very well! i like the way you don't tell why you were getting up, but you made it sound very exciting. your writers vooice showed through greatly, and it was a very good pararaph.

an overall strength in the essay was description. " The alarm clock sounds off loudly blaring an old country rock and roll song" this is a good sentence because of saying the radio went off, you said the country rock and roll song. so that was a really good asspect of the essay. Also the conclusion was extremly good, i like the way it was kind of like, you ask questions at he begining, and at the end you answered them. It was a very effective was to write your essay.

A piece of advice i would give you, would be to check one or two words, that say on instead of one. There’s not much to fix, but good job Julia!!!

Abby said...

In this essay, i think Julia is conveying that she values very important things in her life. In her beginning paragraph, she does a very good job of describing America's lack of value in society. The author does a very good job of showing that she values things she loves in her life, and that, unlike the celebrities she referenced in her introduction, wouldn't just replace them. Julia values her summertime tradition and her ipod very much.
I think that Julia did an excellent job of describing her summertime tradition. one part of her essay, "As the song begins, so does the suns ascent into the sky. Slowly but steady it rises as we sing. Watching the sunrise is so beautiful and special especially when you get to witness it with the ones you love" really did a good job of summing up how much she loved the tradition. Her word choice was nearly perfect in this description. Her sentences also flow and transition very smoothly from part to part.
This essay has many strengths. I think that the biggest strengths were the descriptions of the sunrise tradition and the ipod. I found the two descriptions to be very fun to read. i also felt as though i was actually experiencing what she was describing, especially in the first description. Julia's conclusion was also well - composed.
Julia's essay was very good in terms of usage and grammar. I would just recommend to read the essay out loud to make sure everything sounds appropriate with sentences and commas.

shae said...

i think Julia decribed her items very well. she used rich vocabulary to show us an image of what she was talking about.

the sunrise was dicribed in such detail. she made me want to read more of her story. you can tell she took the time to think it over and make sure it was interesting to read.